Digital marketing has been around for a while. In the past, it was all about search engine optimization and website development. Nowadays, digital marketing is more than just SEO and web design. Digital Marketing, in 2022, will be all about acquiring new skills to keep up with trends and innovations in this ever-changing industry.
The emergence of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat has made it easier for marketers to reach their target audience through different channels. As a result, video content has become one of the most popular ways brands communicate with their customer base. Also, brand campaigns are getting more interactive by including AR technology.
Marketing is becoming more and more digitized with every passing day, and marketers must keep up with these changes. The way people interact with brands and companies will change drastically in the coming years, and it’s essential to stay up-to-date on developments to keep your business thriving. Apart from innovative media buying strategies, competitive intelligence and advanced SEO techniques, there are several more skills digital marketers should have expertise in for 2022.
Top Digital Marketing Skills for Future
The digital marketing landscape is constantly changing with trending innovations, a reason a career in digital marketing is in demand. Here are ten skills that you’ll need to master in digital marketing by 2022.
- Design Thinking Skills
Design Thinking Skills is becoming a significant part of digital marketing and will be so in the future. Design thinking skills are a set of abilities that enable people to design solutions for problems, articulate their thoughts and ideas, collaborate effectively with others, and cope with complexity.
Design thinking is understanding your customer’s perspectives and creating innovative solutions for them. Designers often use design thinking to solve digital marketing problems, such as engaging customers with their digital products or services, which makes it essential for digital marketers.
2. Market Research Skills
The digital marketing trends in 2021 will differ from the digital marketing trends of 2018. For example, market research skills, such as customer-centric digital marketing and market insights, will become more significant than traditional digital marketing skills, such as keyword research and SEO.
Market research is the foundation of digital marketing, and digital marketers need to know what’s going on in this area to remain competitive. In addition, digital marketers need to use their market research skills to segment audiences and analyze their needs by monitoring digital marketing trends across different digital channels. The major factors to focus on in market research are:
- Do market research on the target audience
- Create a social media strategy
- Update your website regularly
- Use paid advertising
- Engage customers through email campaigns
Here are some tips on how to improve and use market research skills for better digital marketing:
1) Use surveys – Surveys are a great way to gather feedback from your target audience about their thoughts on different topics related to your product or service. You can also include questions that ask respondents what they would like most in the future from you or other companies in the industry.
2) Conduct focus groups – Focus groups are another great way to get feedback. They can also help you improve the messaging of your digital marketing campaigns, which will increase engagement and conversion rates.
3) Interviews- Interviews are a great way to collect data in an informal setting so you can get your interviewee’s honest feedback on their thoughts and opinions about your product or service. There are two different interviews, unstructured and structured interviews, which can be used that will help you get your information.
4) Use social media outlets- Social media has become a powerful tool for businesses. We can use it to generate leads, increase brand awareness, and more. However, one of the most overlooked ways social media can help is by providing market research on digital marketing campaigns.
Researching the competition with social media is easy and provides accurate data with no bias or skewed results. Marketing companies use social media as a tool for feedback on their marketing campaigns and products by searching for trending topics related to the industry they’re in. They also conduct surveys by asking questions through tweets or posts about new products or services they want feedback on.
5) Evaluate data- By evaluating data from different sources, you can learn how your customers behave and what they want. Data is critical for any digital marketing campaign. As a part of evaluating data, you can determine your website analytics, keywords to target and conversions required per month
3. Video Marketing Skills
Video marketing skills are the digital trend of the future. Video marketing is expected to grow more than any other digital medium in 2022. The video content shared on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Snapchat have surpassed all other digital formats by a landslide for years now. People are spending an average of 4 hours per day watching videos on their mobile devices.
Video Marketing skills are one of the most valuable digital marketing skills for future success in digital marketing. With video being the ideal medium for storytelling and conveying information, it has become an indispensable digital advertising strategy. As per forecasts by eMarketer, “video ad will grow from $7 billion last year to $11 billion this year”. This shows the importance of having digital marketing skills for the future.
4. Copywriting Skills
Copywriting is an art, which needs to be mastered in digital marketing. The digital era has opened up many doors for businesses and digital marketers. Copywriters must write content that can engage the audience on digital platforms like social media, blogs, website copy etc., by writing exciting headlines and engaging captions.
With so much competition online, it becomes difficult for brands to stand out from the crowd if they don’t have good copywriting skills. People don’t give them a chance unless they see or hear about their product through word-of-mouth referrals or other sources. The copywriter needs to know how to use keywords effectively to reach an audience with their message on various platforms.
A good copywriter will also need knowledge about SEO best practices to write relevant content that will rank well when consumers search for related words or phrases online. Learning how to write effective copy can be difficult, but there are some steps a copywriter can take to improve their skills:
- Read more about the topic before writing
- Research other websites in the niche for examples of what has worked and what hasn’t worked in terms of copywriting
- Write out a rough draft first before going back over it again with revisions and editing for spelling errors or typos
- Use keywords throughout your writing so that search engines will find them more accessible when they do their searches
5. Audio Marketing Skills
The future digital world will require digital marketers with audio marketing skills to become more visual and mobile-based. Audio marketing is one digital marketing skill that will become more important in the coming years. It’s a great way to reach new customers and an excellent tool for customer retention and loyalty.
Audio content has enormous potential for digital marketers. They can use it to promote any product or service with just an audio recording. It’s also versatile because you can record an audio message on your phone, upload it to YouTube or SoundCloud, and then share it with your followers anywhere.
6. Omni-channel Strategy Skills
The Omni-channel strategy skill is one of the most important digital marketing skills to build a digital marketing career in 2022. Omni-Channel Strategy is a technique that enables businesses to deliver interactive customer experiences across all channels. You can describe how brands should plan for digital customer engagement, which has developed into a more comprehensive set of activities and disciplines in digital marketing.
The Omni-Channel Strategy skills are crucial because they allow companies to reach consumers across multiple channels, such as digital devices, social media platforms, mobile apps. This helps brands stand out in their competition by providing a multi-faceted approach that can reach customers anywhere.
7. Storytelling Skills
In digital marketing, storytelling skills will be the most critical skill in 2022. The digital market has changed a lot over the last few years, and storytelling is one of those things that’s been around for centuries. Storytelling requires creativity and imagination to develop an idea and then communicate it well enough to make people interested in your story.
Storytelling is not just about telling a story–it’s also about engagement through visual content. Storytelling Skills are essential for digital marketers because they help establish an emotional connection with consumers and provide a more personal experience than traditional advertising methods like television commercials or billboards.
Here are the trends in storytelling marketing leaders should know about:
- Storytelling for social media – it’s not just a matter of posting your content on social media. It would help if you found creative ways to tell stories with this medium.
- Get personal – use video or other formats where people feel like they get to know who you are as a person and what drives your business. This will be more effective than impersonal posts about your latest product release or blog post.
- Brands embrace new media formats like podcasts and video-on-demand, which allow for deeper engagement between customers and brands.
- Companies are telling their own stories through blogs or social media channels.
- People prefer short-form videos rather than long-form text on their social media feeds and news sites. Videos can also be used as part of your branding strategy to show off company culture or highlight certain features and services.
Brands that successfully utilise storytelling techniques see a 25% increase in engagement rates and 37% more conversions than brands that don’t use them. Storytelling has become an essential technique for marketing leaders, but there are many types of stories out there. The key to success lies in understanding the story you want to tell and how it aligns with your brand’s values.
8. Consumer Psychology Skills
Consumer Psychology skills are significant to understand how digital consumers think and act. It will help you use this information to create engaging digital marketing campaigns for businesses. Consumer likes are constantly strengthening, and digital marketers need to grow with it. Therefore, digital marketers must change their strategies as well.
Consumer psychology skills are mandatory to create more effective campaigns for consumers who rely heavily on technology and social media interactions. Here are ways you can use psychology in your marketing:
- Relate to your customer
- Use reward schedules/ games/ quizzes to understand the audience
- Frame your sales pitches appealingly
- Capture your audience’s attention
- Persuade the buyer to make a purchase
- Persuade consumer to take some other required action
- Help buyer to rationalize their decision
- Use user-generated content, testimonials, and reviews to influence an audience
- Speak to the audience in a friendly way
- Tell the stories they can empathize and connect with
- Share a personal story or experience to build their trust
9. Content Strategy Skills
Content is king in the digital world, and those who master this skill will be at a considerable advantage. Content strategy skills can help digital marketers better use their time to generate a higher return on investment (ROI). Content strategy is planning and executing the content on digital channels for achieving specific goals. For an efficient content strategy, the digital marketer must know about:
- Type of content to produce
- When the content should be published
- How frequently the content should be updated
- Who is the target audience
10. Social Listening Skills
Social listening skills are expected to become a fundamental skill set in digital marketing. Understanding how customers feel about your brand becomes vital information. It has become a necessary component of digital marketing to track everything from customer feedback and trends to industry conversations. Social media is a powerful platform for digital marketers. They must use social listening skills to gain insights into their target audience and create more effective digital campaigns.
The digital marketing industry is constantly changing, making it difficult for marketers to keep up. But, in a nutshell, the digital marketing trends that will dominate in 2022 are social listening skills, AI-powered digital assistants, deep linking strategies and video marketing tactics. So, ready to build your skill set?
Sujith Kumar is a professional IT Faculty having more than 18 years of experience in Dubai. He schedules classes into facilities and provides software instructions. He spends most of his free time learning new software skills and also interested in driving and reading.He is now working as a trainer in Edoxi Training Institute.